NWSTP Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   NWSTP Admins   Guestbook   FAQ   RSS   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members |   | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 2 ]  [ Total: 2 ]  [ Newest Member: Musicpub ]
 All Forums
 NWSTP
 General Discussion
 13.8 WTF
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: edist stuff Topic Next Topic: we should get together...  

maitai1993

Posted - August 01 2005 :  09:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With my up grades I feel I should be in the 12s is it a tunning prob. this is on 18 psi with pump gas and no alky (still waiting) about 92 deg @ the track it was hot...
upgrade list
ATR 3" exhaust
PTE high flow cat
PTE 3" DP
GT35-R DBBT
cold air intake
ATR aux IC with big pump
#50 pound injectors
ATR AFPR
Walbro 340 FP
hard up pipe
phil long chip
boost controler
some trans upgrades
maybe a small few im not putting in but still...

oh yea my 60 ft times sucked 2.222 on that run @ 100.8 mph for a 13.8
that was my 2nd run my 3rd run was going good till a wasp stung me in the hand I had to let off half track that was a 14.0 run
The bee was on the back side of my stering wheel (lil bastard)

and to top off my weekend on the way home it was real nice out I was comming around a turn on i5 north and in that turn was a shady spot with a full size spare in it so needless to say I took it with me a 75 mph all I heard was fiberglass braking and my tranny freakin out so I coasted over to the sholder put it in park that was not there anymore it was now reverse so I turned it off set the e brake that was not there anymore I had my wife stand on the brakes so I could look under the truck my gear leaver was bent backwords my e break cable was broke my prop shaft was bent my new B&M deep trans pan has a fin missing my fiberglass was gone and my cross member is bent...

lots of good stuff.. litter hurts for the person responsable eat sh_t
93 BLK/BLK #1358
GT-35R DBBT PT&E 3" DP full 3" ATR exhaust walbro 340 fp W/FPR #50s Jeff Scott tuned ATR AUX IC cold air intake.
Razor ALKY and more custom goodies
http://community.webshots.com/user/maitai1993

KTamez
Starting Member

Posted - August 01 2005 :  10:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see KTamez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There are probably more knowledgable SyTy owners here then me, but I know a couple things about Drag Racing.....

Why is your 60ft so poor? Are you able to build boost before you launch the truck. I know the BB turbo spools better, but if you're not into boost when you launch alot of ET (and 60ft time) is being left on the table.

On the same token, you mentioned "some trans upgrades". Does that include a Torque converter? I ould *hope so* with such a large Turbo, otherwise you may not be able to boost launch at all, no longer how long you're on the converter.......

Anywho, I'm sure someone may come in and shootdown my theory(ies), but its worth a look in that direction.

Sorry about the carnage on the way home... :(

Good Luck!

Kurtis Tamez
1997 Top Comp Mustang #6524
1993 Typhoon

Edited by - KTamez on August 01 2005 10:08:55 PM

ZazTy547

Posted - August 02 2005 :  02:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
13.8 is about right with the stock turbo setup.

Sounds like your out of tune for sure.
With your setup you should "atleast" be in the high 11's. Your 60ft should be in the 1.6-1.9 on street tires. With a 2.2 sounds like your just punching it at the line and not launching it at 5-10psi.

You'll be surprised at how the little things can make your truck suck, like spark plug gaps too wide, IC pump not hot wired, "timing not at 0", wires crossed, TPS not reading 100%, lock up switch malfunction, list goes on,on...
It is all in the tune Bro. What did your
data master read?

Did you ever make it to Turbo Thunder?
I was their at about 1:00pm. I seen Rollin leaving as I was comming. Did Rollin or SY-girl run at all?
I seen that TT syclone run a 10.2 Dam! That was the only SYTY I seen running. Alot of GN's were tearing up the track. GTA run a 12.2

My truck is still on blocks.
I'm going to try to make it to SIR in mid August
Z

Zav
Ty547

Edited by - ZazTy547 on August 02 2005 02:56:02 AM

maitai1993

Posted - August 02 2005 :  09:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will meet you at SIR to re run after I fix everything:( I got my gilbert prop shaft and my alky lastnight so I will put that on and run a datamaster so Phil can retune...

93 BLK/BLK #1358
GT-35R DBBT PT&E 3" DP full 3" ATR exhaust walbro 340 fp W/FPR #50s Jeff Scott tuned ATR AUX IC cold air intake.

maitai1993

Posted - August 02 2005 :  09:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW I was there all day and running at 1:00 did you meet SAM he was looking for you...

93 BLK/BLK #1358

typhoon 92

Posted - August 02 2005 :  5:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey ZazTy547 I took off right after the TT syclone ran a 10.2. I a video of Randy's 3 pass he made not sure how to post them.And plenty of pictures of his extremly clean typhoon. Hey there KTamez are you going to Renegade raceway this Friday? I'm hoping to be there to run my syclone I'm hoping to be in the high 11's.My best run was 12.3.

Sam
92 typhoon #0438
91 syclone #2224

Syclonegrl
Starting Member

Posted - August 02 2005 :  9:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I brought the GN with me, left the Sy at home.
My best run was 13.15 at 102.45, with a 60 ft of 1.8. I ran a little over 20 lbs of boost at the finish line. I couldn't even leave at 5 lbs of boost in that car, it pushed it through the lights once.. In the Sy though, I bet I wouldnt have had a problem. I have a boost guage in it now, so if I ever get around to racing it again, I can see for myself what it is doing. I know more about racing, than I do about these turbo cars and trucks LOL.
Oh, and there's a possibility that Turbo Thunder VII will be at Bremerton next year..

Wanda
'91 GMC Syclone
'86 Buick Grand National
'07 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Syclone1255

Posted - August 03 2005 :  9:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
randy,

you have got to get datamaster bro...that is the program i never got to show you at the hooters meet. ...you are probably knocking like a mad man down the track...that thing should run mid to high 12's damn near out of the box with that turbo...its all about tuning-- should get you high 11's low 12's. Something is wrong, and not just a little wrong...13.8 with a low 100mph is not right. You have a great tuner, you should really get to talk'n to him! what i want to know is how is your truck being tuned without a scantool or some sort...you should really be using a WB to get max effort.

Edited by - Syclone1255 on August 03 2005 9:18:41 PM

Syclone1255

Posted - August 04 2005 :  11:05:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also........i would recommend not installing that alki yet, as its just another factor in the tuning equation and could just make things more difficult. I'd start all over man...start with the basics and work your way up the latter...basics are ignition cap, rotor, plugs , timing...etc. make sure your fueling is adequate, not just your FP but fuel filter and injecters...make sure your Fuel pressure rises 1psi with 1psi of boost. Datamaster won't tell you this stuff, but will tell if you are knocking like mad and having tons of timing pulled, killing your power.

you should be in 1.7's 60' with 8-12lb launch depending on trackion, can you build that much boost at the line, will your brakes hold that?

look at your IC temps what are they...datamaster will tell you if you are blowing hot inefficient air, is your IC up to par?

Check the timing with tan wire unplugged...i'm sure you know that, but jsut in case you didn't know unplug it when timing.

basically you're 60's are killing you but even with a better 60' your mph is WAY to low for that turbo...untuned i'd guess it would run 106mph or so. i'm guessing you have tons of knock, it may be false but we have to start at the beginning/basicas to narrow it down. Throwing alki at it is not the right way to due it.

what gas did you have in it?

what fp are you running?

how did phil tune your truck without a scan tool?

make sure your downpipe isn't smacking the frame.

make sure your metal fuel lines are wacking the back of the motor.

run some TEC through the truck, clean out the IC and upper intake.

just some things to think about...datamaster is your best friend.

Trust me i know the frustration and it gets old real quick, but lets start from the basics. how does it run with the stock chip in it?

maitai1993

Posted - August 04 2005 :  4:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
45 psi on fuel with 50 pound injectors

IC 200 gollon an hour punp with aux front mount with water and water wetter in it never reaches above 100 if gauge is running right.

as far as gas goes pump gas I had to much on from the start to add race gas.but I got my alky now and im going to install it..

as far as the DP goes I made extra sure that it did not hit anything I went as far as to cut the tab where the stocker bolts to..

Phil did not tune my truck with data he just asked me what I upraded..im going to run datamaster and e mail it to him so he can retune.

Im guessing that it may be knock but im sure its also timming retard..

about tEC where do you but it.
and that tan wire for timming?????

93 BLK/BLK #1358

Syclone1255

Posted - August 04 2005 :  8:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Top Engine Cleaner can be found at any chevy dealership...let me know if you need to know how to do it. Thats not going to solve much, but it'll clean it out in there and get the carbo build up out.

if timing the truck, unplug the tan wire under the passanger side rug...set timing to 0* then plug it back in and your good to go...let me know if you need help with this too.

best thing you can do again, is get datamaster hooked up and go from there.

best way to tune is with a scan toll and WBo2.

how's your boost control?

I just can't imagine you running that time, i'm blown away...you have to have something wrong, such as tons of knock retard. I'd be careful with it if i was you untill you get datamaster hooked up.

PM me buddy.

Edited by - Syclone1255 on August 04 2005 8:51:11 PM

Paul
Site Admin

Posted - August 05 2005 :  11:57:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage  Send Paul an AOL message  Send Paul an ICQ Message  Click to see Paul's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We should meet up and figure this out. I ran a 12.5 on the 20g wiht just the ultimate. With the gt35r you should be able to do that atleast. You should really be in the low 12's high 11's on that setup with stock cam/engine and heads.

I have the ostrich, autoprom and wb02 unit so we should meet up and try to tune this thing. Doing it in real time with those items makes it easy. Phil is a good tuner but you will always need to tweak his tuning to your setup.

PM me... or call my cell and we'll have to figure it out.

Paul Schwab
93 Black/Black Typhoon #424
NWSTP Site Admin
Kirkland, WA

maitai1993

Posted - August 06 2005 :  10:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im going to take you up on your offer Paul I need some help in the worst way after I fix the dammage under the truck and put my new prop shaft and alky on I will pm you for a set up time. that would be bad ass if we could get this thing to run better and I know it can ..
call me (425)330-3636

93 BLK/BLK #1358

Syclone1255

Posted - August 07 2005 :  8:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now we are talk'n!!!

ZazTy547

Posted - August 07 2005 :  10:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randy.

I want to share my lessons learned on tunning.

My truck seemed to run fine with no signs of audible or visual knock (I have a knock light)
but the moment of truth hit me when I went to the track for the first time last year and realized that she was not running as good as I thought, based on my dissapointing timesslips, which I threw in the trash...

So last winter I finally got DM and found out that my TPS was only at 80% at wot and my O2 sensor was toast, along with a couple of other
suspects exposed by DM.

This year it should be a diferent story with my little friend DM and my budget upgrades, knock on wood.

So again, we cannot stress it enough, it's all about the tune but don't overtune. (advance timing, adjusting boost to high) You will blow the engine.
You want that happy medium :-)

Also make sure you set your timing to 0 degrees. You will not know that your timing is off with DM. Your car will just run like poopoo.

Paul, I need to meet up with you as well Bro.

I was wondering if you could custom burn a bin on one of my STG settings for the strip, without blowing my sh#$ up-laugh?

Also, I still need to get tunerpro running on my laptop.

My goal is to have my truck back together by the 17th before I head out to LaLa land. I'm getting married on the 20th, so the Ty will be collecting dust after that).

There's a lot of Test and Tune sessions going on at SIR this month (12th, 17th and the 19th)

Lets get some NWSTP action going on!

Zav
Ty547

Edited by - ZazTy547 on August 07 2005 10:57:48 PM

Syclone1255

Posted - August 08 2005 :  08:24:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry off topic............but congrats on the upcoming marriage...i remember you told me, but didn't know if was this soon.

hope that IC scoop is worth about 150hp and 200lbs.......... ;)

ZazTy547

Posted - August 10 2005 :  11:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah man, I'm finally getting married to Babies Mamma.

I'm gonna bring my wife to SIR with a "just got married" banner on the back window and run a couple of passes for kicks...

Zav
Ty547

Edited by - ZazTy547 on August 10 2005 11:54:11 PM

Paul
Site Admin

Posted - August 11 2005 :  10:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Paul's Homepage  Send Paul an AOL message  Send Paul an ICQ Message  Click to see Paul's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
LOL.... I got married at SIR shirts forsale.... LOL

Paul Schwab
93 Black/Black Typhoon #424
NWSTP Site Admin
Kirkland, WA

Previous Topic: edist stuff Topic Next Topic: we should get together...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NWSTP Forum © 1998-2011 NWSTP Go To Top Of Page
This page spooled up in 0.52 seconds Syclone and Typhoon By GMC Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03

This Ring Site is owned by Sportmachines. Want to join the Ring?
[
Skip Prev] [Prev] [Next] [Skip Next] [Random] [Next 5] [List Sites
]